Monday, September 29, 2008

I love Fall...

I love this time of year, cool weather is so nice and being able to have the screen doors open to catch the breeze. The only draw back is the amount of sand which four small paws seem to be able to bring in, oh well, you have to take a little extra work for the privilege. I have tried to be more productive this morning, I actually got fully dressed today! I've done a load of laundry which is drying on the line, weeded the garden bed and did some cleaning of the large sticks out of the compost mulch which haven't started decaying yet. I cut the okra and some peppers and picked a handful of cherry tomatoes. I checked on the lemon/lime trees and look what I discovered.


Spikes! they are at least 1" - 1 1/2" long. Who knew?

the asperigus fern are doing well


this is the "volunteer" tomatoe which grew next to Dusty's pool. It ended up about 5' tall at one point it even put on some blooms but it doesn't get any sunshine. It grew in 2" of pebbles, this amazes me.


this is the blueberry plant, it has done well, hoping for blueberries next year.

the "lavender" plant, when does it ever bloom?


this is the bed I cleaned and weeded this morning (the one in the front) and behind is the last of the tomatoes, mostly the cherry ones are the only ones still making, only when I just picked them I noticed the romas are trying to make some more, we'll have to see if they are able to turn red before the first frost.
the sunflowers are long gone...

this was the very last cantaloupe of the season, they were all very good. I'm already planning for next years garden and how to rotate the crops like all the books say from one bed to the other. We know we want more okra plants and have been saving our seed. I also saved some seeds from some of the peppers and I am planning on having more herbs especially cilantro for salsa and some tomatoes which are on the meaty side. Since I'm the only one who eats tomatoes, the cherry were good but I want something we can can to use later.
Just a Note: When logging on today I noticed "I have a follower" I am very excited about this, and their a famous family from a well known movie! I look forward to learning about using coupons from her. Welcome! Life at the Burrow

No comments: