Friday, March 23, 2012

continually learning...


I have been talking to all the "professionals" out there who do this on a daily basis.
Why don't people tell you some of the tricks of ther trade
 they use to make a do-it-yourself job look professional?
 OK... see the inside edge which is on the cabinet doors, 
there is a gap, very small but still a gap between the insert and edging. 
do you know what the trick is?
 


they run a line of caulking to "finish" this and then paint.
SEE... there's a reason we are so slow at this remodel.
because I was just going to paint the doors and I knew there was a gap but 
I had to ask to get this information.  He also told me to run caulking between the front edge of the base cabinets when we screw them together. This helps it look more like one solid piece.

Remember... there are no stupid questions.



I also went to a specialty store to inquire about the best tile to use for a Baking Area...
I had a nice pinky/tan marble picked out,


but NO... that's not the best, marble doesn't stand up to kitchen use/hot pans.
he recommended porcelain, it will stand up to high heat (4000 degrees), you can take a pan straight off the stove or out of the oven and set it directly on the counter.
it also remains cool so its great for working dough.
And, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse!
He had some unused boxes in the back,
 which after digging out the 3rd box for me to compare my laminate samples with, 


could this be more perfect... he sold it to me for $10.00.
He also went over with me how to install it and the trick...use Epoxy Grout.
He said "it's more stain resistant and works better for continual usage."

No comments: