Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I'm canning...

We have been picking blue lake green beans, squash , purple and Texas sweet onions, herbs: basil, cilantro and peppermint.


this is the cilantro and squash...
I canned the green beans and squash at 10 lbs pressure in the canner and dried the herbs in the microwave. This is the first time I used the canner as a pressure canner everything else I've done (mostly jellies) were done as hot water bath. One thing I've come to realize about water bath canning is it takes a whole lot of water! Pressure canning takes less water but you have to be able to stand listening to the pressure for however long it takes to can things, for the squash this was 40 minutes. But it has been a good experience. I was nervous about using the pressure canner but now I've done it I'm excited about what else I can put up! I just kept reading over all the directions to make sure I was doing it correctly.


No comments: