and YES...I made this myself. Although after eating it, I think I would leave it sitting wrapped in the towels a full 6 hours, for a more tangy taste. What I ended up with is very mild flavored.
- 1/2 gallon whole milk (can use lowfat or skim milk)
- 1/2 cup mahdzoon or yogurt starter (off the shelf of the supermarket plain yogurt will do as long as it contains "live cultures"
Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 Bring milk to just a boil and then set aside to cool.
- 2 Cool just enough not to bite the finger to touch, (about 120°F).
- 3 Pour warm milk in a glass or pyrex bowl and add the Mahdzoon starter (or store bought"live culture" plain yogurt).
- 4 Mix well by stirring the starter in, and cover.
- 5 Completely cover the bowl with towels top and bottom to maintain an even temperature.
- 6 Keep covered at room temperature until mahdzoon has set, about 3-4 hours.
- 7 Refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.
- 8 To store, keep in refrigerator.
- 9 If you like, you can add a spoonful or two of fruit preserves/jam and a bit of vanilla before serving.